I am a survivor of domestic violence. But many folks just don’t know what that really means.
Am I or Arent I?
Heres a little info to help you determine that.
A victim of emotional abuse is when the partner:
- Repeatedly gives you destructive criticism, verbal threats and browbeating.
- Always claims to be right.
- Excludes you from making decisions and claims to be the head of the household.
- Abuses your trust by lying, hiding important information and papers, cheating or being inappropriately jealous.
- Minimizes or denies abusive behavior.
- Constantly shows disrespect, puts you down or embarrasses you in front of others.
- Harasses you by following you or checking up on you.
- Prevents you from seeing your relatives or friends or insists on going everywhere with you.
- Monitors your phone calls.
A victim of physical abuse is when the partner:
- Intimidates you through angry or threatening gestures.
- Destroys your belongings or household items.
- Coerces you to have sex or perform sexual acts against your will.
- Kicks, bites, stabs, pushes, burns or chokes you.
- Uses weapons to threaten or harm you or others you love.
You can find out more about domestic violence and abuse here.
I hope this helps you or someone you know. It isn’t fun being in an abusive relationship. It is very much like being addicted to a drug, so hard to get away from it, but mainly due to fears.
If it is someone you know, please help them. Before its too late.